Line the base of a 28cm cake tin
Butter and flour sides
(1.5times the recipe for the lid of the 30cm round shallow casserole )
250g ground almonds
6 eggs, separated
250g caster sugar
2 tsps cinnamon
Grated zest of 1 orange
Grated zest of 1 lemon
4 drops almond essence
Pre heat oven 180c/gas4
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar to a thick cream to the ribbon stage .
- Beat in the orange and lemon zests and almond essence.
- Fold in the ground almonds and cinnamon
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the egg and almond mixture
- Place the mixture in the prepared tin or shallow casserole
- Place the cake in the oven for approx. 40 mins or until golden and firm to touch
- Leave to cool before turning out. Dust the top with icing sugar.
- If you like, cut the shape of a Santiago cross or festive design out of paper and place it in the middle of the cake then dust with icing sugar.